The former head of the "Northern Ireland Civil Service", Ken Bloomfield, has said some form of Irish unity is not unthinkable in principle. The former Victims Commissioner, currently involved with the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains, said Irish unity should be thought of as a possible or potential contract between distinct groups of people "with all the cards on the table." It would not be a single step but a process with a "modest beginning and no predetermined end," he told the gathering of the 40th anniversary Merriman summer school.
"So it is that I do not find the idea of some form of Irish unity or closer association - almost certainly after my time - in any way unthinkable in principle," Sir Kenneth, who was secretary to the 1974 Sunningdale power-sharing government, said. "But what is conceivably acceptable in principle would have to be mutually acceptable in practice. As I grow older, I care less which flag is flown and which anthem is played where I live."
He said he would find it difficult to bear "with any sense of self respect" any relapse into a period of " that parody of democratic government, direct rule". "Far sighted politicians, economists and academics will have to think long and hard about the true nature, cost, ethos and dynamics of a new orientation of affairs," he added.
Sinn Féin MLA Willie Clarke welcomed the comments saying, "No one should doubt that when an old-school unionist such as Ken Bloomfield can recognise the political dynamic of Irish re-unification that he is reflecting the much broader political realities. "The new thinking displayed by Ken Bloomfield is a welcome contribution to what should be a healthy and positive debate on the future constitutional position on the Island of Ireland. While I would dispute the timeframe indicated by him I would encourage further open discussion of the shape of the new Ireland that is evolving. "The arrangements now in place threaten no ones political aspirations. Indeed they provide for the first time a common space to discuss and debate our futures on the basis of equality and respect. "I believe that there is an unstoppable momentum towards Irish unity. This is reflected across all sections of our society and even privately many unionists recognise this reality. It is a question of how we manage this transition."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment